Sunday, July 15, 2012

GLUTEN FREE RICE CRISPIES BARS...WITH A HEALTHY TWIST!

Rice Crispies Bar with Marshmallows, Almonds, Dried Cherries, & Chocolate Chips




If you are a fan of Marshmallow Rice Crispies treats, then this gluten free version is right up your alley.  Thanks to a base recipe from Rachael Ray's Magazine, I doctored up my version to include dried blueberries, honey-roasted peanuts, and milk chocolate.  Of course I used gluten free Rice Krispies, which are made with brown rice and clearly labeled 'gluten free' on the cereal box. Thank you Kellogg's for finally making a gluten free variety that we can trust to be gluten free, and one that tastes just like the 'old' Rice Krispies.  This recipe calls for a variety of ingredients, any of which you can eliminate or substitute for, depending on taste.  I will share the version I made, which got 'thumbs up' from my family and friends.  Feel free to add anything that you crave in a snack bar... it will probably work!


Ingredients

1 stick, plus 2 TBSP. butter
2 bags mini marshmallows (10 ounce bags)
5-6 cups GF Rice Crispies Cereal (Kellogg's Rice Krispies)
2 cups lightly salted almonds (I love Blue Diamond Low Sodium Almonds!  http://www.bluediamond.com/)
1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts
1 cup dried sour cherries (Sunsweet has no sulfites) http://sunsweet.com/products/cherries.html
1/2 cup dried blueberries http://sunsweet.com/products/blueberries.html
1/4 tsp. coarse Kosher salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chocolate chips
*  For my chocolate chips,  I use Ghirardelli Brand

Instructions

Line a 9 inch square with parchment paper.  Butter the surface.  In a large pot, melt the butter over medium low heat.  Add 10 cups of mini-marshmallows and cook, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth.  This will take about 5 minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat.

Using a spatula, lightly coated with butter, fold in the cereal.  Add the almonds, peanuts, cherries, blueberries, and salt.  Fold quickly to mix evenly.  Then add the chocolate chips and the remaining mini-marshmallows, folding gently to distribute.

Spoon the mixture into your prepared baking dish using clean damp hands.  Press the mixture into an even layer.  Let cool completely at room temperature.  Then cut into squares and serve.

Remember, feel free to mix, match, or substitute any of the above ingredients to make it your own.  Enjoy!

- Scott


2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm. These looks fantastic, and it looks like even an ape (me) can make them!

    I think I would substitute walnuts for the almonds, and as a vegetarian would need to lose the marshmallows, and I wonder what would happen if some M&Ms just happened to fall in...

    Might just have to impress my lady with this one :).

    I look forward to attempting a bunch of these (which happen to be both gluten free and vegetarian).

    - Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Russ. I hope the snack works out for you. Most of the desserts I make are variable in that egg substitute can be used for eggs, and dairy can be replaced with almond milk or even soy. Let me know if your fiancee likes them. Don't forget the 'accidental' M&Ms! My mishap involved extra chocolate chips...

    I have a pear dessert I am ready to try and blog, if I can get Steve and the boys to eat it! ; )

    Thanks, again.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete