Monday, July 9, 2012

VANILLA ICING BY DOT











One of my favorite patients whom I have been treating for years, is an amazing woman named Dorothy K...better known as 'Dot'.  She was a cook, baker, worked retail, and did just about anything else you could imagine.  She is an incredible example of faith-put-into-action.  Dot has a heart of gold, and a spirit of love.  She is generous to a fault, and even now many years retired, donates tons of time and food (in the way of baked goods, jarred vegetables and fruits, doughnuts, sticky buns, sewed and stitched items, etc...) to her church and community.  She has certain physical limitations now that her age is slowly rising...but looking young as ever...but she still bakes from her home and makes a few dollars on the side by taking orders for her amazing baked goods which she figured out the recipes for as she went.  Just a phenomenal talent!  She shared with me a recipe or twelve during our years together, and I want to share a simple yet crowd-pleasing version of her vanilla icing, or 'frosting' as some of us say.  I do not remember a time I did NOT get a compliment on this vanilla icing when I have made it for cakes, cookies, and anything else that might taste good iced.  So here you go.  I promise you will love it!



Ingredients



4 oz. cream cheese, at room temp


2 'egg-sized' scoops of crisco shortening (that's how I got the recipe...Dot doesn't measure everything


    conventionally)


1 one-pound box of powdered sugar


2 tsps. vanilla extract


milk as need...about 1-3 tbsp. depending on consistency desired



In a large beater bowl, add cream cheese and crisco and beat on medium then high for several minutes. On low, add half the box of powdered sugar and vanilla.  Mix well on medium.  Then add remaining powdered sugar and slowly add milk by tablespoon as desiered.  I usually add about 1 to 2 tbsp.  Beat on high for 3-4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as you go.  Ice whatever you want...my family fights over the 'beater-pops' when I'm done.  Licking those beaters is one of life's simplest pleasures.  :  )





This is wonderful and simple.  Next time you need an icing for cake, cupcakes, etc..., please try this out.  Then thank Dot for her wonderful creation!

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment